WHEN – Thursday October 5th 2017
WHERE RAF Leeming North Yorkshire
Aims of the Day
- To provide a positive experiential learning platform for yr 9 girls and supporting adults
- To challenge accepted gender stereotyping associated with STEM subjects and careers
- To broaden horizons and encourage girls to consider apprenticeship, employment and further education opportunities in STEM related areas
- To encourage and support educators and parents to help girls consider STEM subjects and careers as a positive choice
- To contribute to and enhance educators CPD profile
- To facilitate networking opportunities between education and business
- To educate, empower and have fun!
Who was the day for?
This FREE event is open to current year 8 girls of all abilities (yr 9 Sept 2017) and supporting adults.
Schools are invited to choose up to 12 female students and 8 supporting adults (teacher, parent governor, parent or carer) to attend.
As part of the application process participants will have to agree to share their experiences of the day with other pupils and staff members. This is to comply with requirements from funding bodies.
Places are strictly limited to 150 students and 100 adults.
What was on Offer
- Aimed at girls of all abilities
- Students can choose 2 exciting interactive STEM based workshops from a list of 8
- Each hands-on workshop is 90 minutes long allowing each attendee a chance to fully participate
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR TEACHERS AND CAREERS TALKS
- STEM for girls teaching seminars for adults e.g. “Getting girls into Physics”: Dr David Bailey, University of York.
- Careers talks for adults e.g. Carole Cuthbertson, Design Lead, Health Sector, Sir Robert McAlpine
- A chance to hear national speakers inspiring girls to consider further STEM education, including apprenticeships, and a career in STEM.
MARKETPLACE – a place to network and inform.
- STEM colleges and organisations
- Apprenticeship schemes
- Careers advisory bodies
- STEM opportunities within HM Forces
- STEM related businesses
If pupil details cannot be confirmed at this time but you would like to apply for places, please put TBC (to be confirmed) – in the appropriate section.
If you would like further information about this event, please email us at: